Monday, June 7, 2010

Against big government?

And the wailing goes on - Big government is ruining us. The government is evil. More government is more evil. Yet, they wail, why hasn't the government done more to a) stop the oil spill; b) find jobs for the unemployed; c) educate our children for less; d) get us out of debt . . . . All of these things and more require more government, not less. So does war. High military spending has been the major contributor to our massive deficit, yet, we ask the government to assure our safety from bombings and terrorists. That safety doesn't come cheap.

If by proposing solutions to massive problems, the government needs a structure to assure the result, then government may get bigger. If our population increases so that more people need roads, schools, police and fire protection, etc., then our government may get bigger. If businesses raise prices to make profits, and they make profits and grow larger, then the services they need from the government may be greater, and government may get bigger. Life is complicated. This is not your grandfather's simple country life we're living here. Deal with it.

Oops! I seem to have published a rant.

3 comments:

  1. Me too.
    I really don't mind paying my taxes so I can enjoy better roads, schools, and help provide services for those that need them.

    Sometimes I dream of a world when all people against raising taxes end up needing medical assistance for instance. Just to get a dose of that medicine...

    I mean COME ON! Of course there are people that abuse the system - but there are an awful lot of good people who need help and I feel it is my duty to help those less fortunate.

    There... I added to your rant... :)
    Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete