Thursday, June 10, 2010

Emmers reminds me of . . .

Tonight on WCCO, it was reported that Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmers in response to the nurses strike stated that hospitals have a right to run their hospitals as they want to.

Last time I heard that "attitude" expressed was at the end of the very last employment discrimination trial I handled, way back in the late '60's or early '70's. In a case involving the company's "holding" a position for their male choice, while he attained the experience to give him the proper qualifications, the woman who had done the job for that year or so that it took for him to do so, claimed (rightfully) that it was sex discrimination for the company not to give her the job. The company claimed she was not qualified for the job. After evidence was complete, the retired judge hearing the case concluded, and I quote (I've never forgotten his words) "I'm convinced that she is just as qualified [for the job] as he is, but I think a corporation ought to be able to hire whoever they please." And he proceeded to find for the company. My client did not appeal, because she was worn down by the process.

I must conclude in the current situation that the hospitals really DON'T have the right to run their hospitals the way they want to - especially if the people who provide the patient care (who are, you'll notice, mostly women) do not think their policies provide the best and most effective care for their patients. I just have to come down on the side of the nurses in this one. And I surely do NOT want Tom Emmers leading our state back to the '60's with this attitude.

Are we suddenly reverting to a time when only the very big "businesses" are to have their opinions and policies respected? Thank heavens we still have some unions ready to stand up against such arrogance.

No comments:

Post a Comment