Saturday, June 26, 2010

Walker Museum

"Just remember, Ellen, that even if it looks simple, you couldn't have done it." Actually, there were some things there that I could have done, but nobody would have cared. There were also some things there about which I didn't care. Still, I kept an open mind, mostly. Heaven knows, I don't want to seem supercilious.

I am not usually impressed when self-opinionated folks posing as artists take some ugly, mundane everyday item and pretend it is creative art. Many of the art pieces were, however, interesting and/or beautiful - great colors, interesting textures, insightful; though many were, in my opinion, not so much.

For example, a sculpted (or possibly paper mache) "cooker" full of what looks like white rice being overcooked does not strike me as a masterpiece worthy of a place in a major art institute. Nor am I impressed with a bunch of work and paint tools stowed under the stairs. A bundle of old newspapers stacked near a wall in the corner is unimpressive, (My mother's basement would have been a masterpiece of giant proportions) as is an apparently unfinished table-like appurtenance with a partial paint job and ragged plywood edges (not dissimilar to my father's basement workbench). A pneumatic pump apparently attached to a mirror (I think it was a mirror) as art? A bit of a stretch. I really could have stacked three tins of sardines or whatever they were in a mini-pyramid. If I could do it, you know it requires no talent whatsoever.

Still having kept an open mind and considered the amazing diversity and effects of this display of modern art concepts, I really enjoyed the place. In fact I think I'll return soon. After this outing, I find myself looking at things around me in a somewhat different way. I see that as a good thing. I enjoyed the outing more than I expected to. Being open minded is also a good thing, and I'm working on it. After all, I've never been seen as pretentious . . . I don't think.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should sign up for art lessons and try to get a better perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, RM - But I think I already have a pretty good perspective. I'm afraid I don't quite get your comment in the context of what I wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled reading your words and agree with your insights. Ellen Pretentious??? Never. Passionate and confident--both great attributes--definitely! Maybe I shouldn't move that stack of junk mail that came yesterday off of my island! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind comments. Junk mail as art? Probably not!

    ReplyDelete