Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Personal Responsibility

Headline: "Woman suing Google for Bad Directions" It seems Google directed her to walk down a highway, and she did it, was hit by a car and sustained injuries.

I understand the frustration arising from following wrong directions provided by one's electronic advisers. I once took a 200 mile detour into the desert when I was directed to reach Phoenix from the north by first driving south almost to the Mexican border. It's a much shorter trip using a more direct route. Recently my GPS directed me to turn left onto a sidewalk. I did not make that turn. Hopefully, we learn from our mistakes.

Even better, we might use common sense when directed into a ridiculous situation. And now there's the additional embarrassment this poor woman will endure because she has chosen to sue Google for damages, thus publicizing her extremely poor judgment. Where has personal responsibility gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment