Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dollhouse - a play at the Guthrie

Very interesting "update" on Ibsen's "The Doll's House" - with lots of dysfunctional discourse in a dysfunctional marriage based on a dysfunctional relationship and lies - lots of lies. One really didn't much like either of the main characters, and I, personally, was thinking "Oh, for heaven's sake. Will someone here please tell the truth on something or, at the very least, manifest even one small redeeming personal characteristic." I admit I do get rather into the "play".

Some of you may remember my Himalayan Salt Lamp? It supposedly infuses the room with negative ions, which are touted in the promotional material to have great powers. As I previously described it (it, the lamp, remains in Phoenix), "The lamp emits a pleasant glow and is an interesting gadget to talk about. Many promises arrived with the purchase of this amazing little object. Of course, I didn't believe it would remove all dust and pollutants and alleviate allergies, asthma, etc. Nor is it credible that it would boost my immune system, speed the heeling of my wounds, increase my alertness, improve my sleep and cognitive abilities or help reduce my anxiety. All those supposed benefits were clearly exaggerations or, more credibly, total fantasy."

What has this to do with the play I just saw? About halfway through the play, I spotted what seemed to be a Himalayan Salt Lamp glowing on the end table by the sofa in the room where the whole play, with all its tensions and anxieties was being acted out. Wonder how many people noticed - or, more particularly, how many people knew what they were seeing? The play ended on a harmonious note. Was it the script or was it the lamp? We may never know.

3 comments:

  1. One never knows, without that lamp, it may have ended up as a murder mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I've never seen the Himalayan Salt Lamp? Did you get it after I was last there? I could have used some healing, and especially improvement of my cognitive functioning! I think I'll pass on this play...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Brian - the murder would have been no mystery at all. They'd all have a motive, methinks!

    ReplyDelete